Monday, July 30, 2012

For Fires, I'm Grateful that I'm Reminded to Be Grateful

When I was in corporate, I would day dream about working at home. So many wonderful things about being at home, staying on top of chores, having more time with my kids, and being available for emergencies.
I even day dreamed that I would get bored.

Actually working at home is anything but boring, and it certainly hasn't quite panned out to be the all caught up perfectly neat housewife vision I thought it would be. Especially when life throws a curve ball like it did today! 

I was working on my meal plans, when I became very restless. I asked my son to join me on an escapade out to the chickens, then a trip down the drive way to the mail box. It's a great way to get some sun and exercise. I know for me, taking breaks like this helps me to refocus back on work.

From the back yard, we headed up toward the front of the house, Dominik is always about 20 steps ahead of me, so I didn't think to much when I reached the garage and he wasn't there. When I came around the garage, I saw he made it down to the end of the driveway just at the road. He had turned and was headed back to me. And there was smoke. (In my mind's eye all I see is Dominik and smoke, but I know I was taking in so much more. )

I hollared down the drive for him to ride as fast as he could back to the house (RIGHT THIS MINUTE!!) at the same time he hit the garage, I ran inside to get the phone and was dialing 911 and back out front I went to keep an eye.

I asked Dominik to stay inside until I knew what was happening, then pulled him back out where in case the fire reached the house, he wasn't trapped. My mind thought of other things too, like pulling the car out of the garage in case we needed to drive to safety, and my sleeping cats. But I was afraid to not fight the fire, since it takes the nearest fire department almost 15 minutes to get anywhere out here.

At this point, a neighbor who had driven by shortly before returned with a shovel and was out shoveling dirt onto the fire. I got off the phone and joined him with my hose. (Yes, I have a hose that reaches the road, thank GOD)

Together, we coordinated to control the direction of the fire and the pace at which it headed toward my house, although there really wasn't anyway the two of us could have stopped it. It was burning at both ends, and my hose just couldn't reach far enough. I wasn't timing, but my friendly neighbor and I had created a nice  block in it before the firefighters and sheriff arrived.

My adrenaline has never pumped so hard, and I don't think I've ever moved my body that hard, that fast!

I'm not exactly sure how much is burned, the neighbors lost a lot of fence line, but everyone, and pets are safe, for that I'm so grateful.

When my husband came home (much earlier than planned since I was panicking when I called him), I cried. I wanted to cry much harder, but was grateful for him being home early.

In this moment, I am reminded that one of my lessons in this life has been to learn to find the gifts in tragedy and in challenges. This is one of those moments. I could have cursed the transformer, or been so angry that my son was bold enough to get so close, I could have spent the rest of my afternoon crying about how bad it was. But, right now, I'm in a total space of awe and gratitude.

You see, the only reason we even went around the front of the house was to check the mail. I don't always check the mail any more and if we hadn't been pulled to do so, things would have turned out much differently, for everyone.
I'm grateful for neighbors that I've never met, caring enough to take action.
I'm grateful for that hose that reaches pretty darn far that we got for so many trees, we never knew we'd fight a fire with it.
I'm grateful most of all that I was home. That my amazing career that I love so much lets me be here so I can live my life, but to also be present when I need to be.


Post Fire Fighters, Near the Road facing South

Post Fire Fighters, Near road facing North

The edge where we were working to keep the fire away

This picture is facing my house from the far end of the fire. 

A good view from our drive, it burned very, very quickly

And so, I am thankful. So, Incredibly Thankful!

Gratitude has changed a lot of things in my life. By shifting my perspective it has helped me not only to see things differently but to recognize the gifts I'm given daily, to see opportunities when they are presented, and to stay in a happier, more fulfilled state of mind.

How are you practicing gratitude in your life? Need a start? How about keeping a journal where you log three positive things that happened in your day and why they happened. After making note of such events, simply say, "Thank you".

In vibrant health and happiness,
Tammi Hoerner

www.thenourishedlife.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is valuable to me, please keep it family friendly as my blog is directed toward families. Blessings for a healthy and happy life! ~ Tammi