Saturday, July 28, 2012

D-Day at Our House

Last Sunday was D-Day. Not for everyone, just four. Plus it was our first time. We didn't want to make the task over bearing or so long that we became vegetarians before the night was out. The Cornish Game Hens were about 2.5 to 3.0 lbs at this point and according to every source the optimal size to begin to take for meat.
ugh. REALLY?!

Even Jim wasn't sure he was prepared for this. It's hard to take little lives. We did it though. And here is our process.


The hardest part was to choose who would be the ones. Jim said four, while we're doing this, we'll try to take enough to last a bit. We got a huge pot for boiled water (180 degrees), a table with a chopping block to kill the chicken, a hanging beam to hang them to bleed out, then finally another table to remove the feathers and gut them. I've spared you the gross stuff for the most part - here is a photo after the heads have been removed but before feathers are removed. 


At this point, I've begun to question the rationale behind my quest. My son was crying and understandably upset, as were Jim and I. It is so much easier to just buy them at the store. This process will change our view of meat forever. 

This is me, taking the feathers off the bird. 
It's not entirely a bad process, it's just not easy. Raising them, you can see they are living, breathing, feeling beings. I believe the term is satient? Not fully sure, but it's hard to not feel for them. 

We kept the other birds completely in their coop so they were not exposed to the trauma of what was happening. But they know their companions are gone and are a bit nervous when I or Jim come out. 

To fully embrace this day, this moment, I froze two of the chickens and put two in the roaster. Quite honestly, it was a little hard to eat, BUT it was GREAT tasting chicken, extremely lean, tender, and juicy. 

Dressed and ready for the oven!

So, We did it. We raised our own meat. We even slaughtered our own meat and sat down together and enjoyed the meal. Jim and I have both decided we wouldn't mind waiting a few more weeks before taking the rest of the Cornish Game Hens though. I think the kids are on board for that too. 

It feels good to know the meat is healthy and strong for my son and for my husband and I and I can truly say I know where it comes from before it's on my plate. 

For that part, the health coach in me is deeply satisfied. The Mom in me is deeply satisfied. The animal lover is a little confused. 

In vibrant health and happiness,
Tammi Hoerner
www.thenourishedlife.net

P.S. If you've enjoyed this article, you might enjoy my meal plans! Be sure you opt in for the One Month FREE Gluten and Dairy free meal plans at the top of my blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is valuable to me, please keep it family friendly as my blog is directed toward families. Blessings for a healthy and happy life! ~ Tammi