Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Water Play

HOLEY MOLEY is it HOT!

I'm thinking back to my younger years and always remember June as a cooler month. My memory could be wrong, but I don't think so. Well, either way...it's HOT and... it's JUNE.

I love the sunshine, so am pulled to be outside, but I keep finding myself back inside, drinking water. I'm pushing smoothie pops and water on my son, hoping to keep him properly hydrated and cool. We don't have a built in cooling system, and are trying to be conscious of the energy we use - so try to go without, leaving the house cooler than outside, but still mighty warm.

In this unusual heat, I've decided it's a good time to open the door to reminding how essential drinking enough water is.

To help you have an idea why water is so important, all you need to do is look at the fact that your body is 70 - 75% water. Yup. That's the foundation of our body. Water.

With that in mind, you can imagine that even slight dehydration will give you a headache. There are other signs to look out for though. Symptoms of dehydration include:
  • low energy
  • dry sticky mouth
  • lethargy (low energy)
Extend that for a few days and you have:
  • constipation
  • sleeplessness
  • dry skin
In the heat, or a run of hot days, dehydration can come on quickly! 

Watch closely for:
  • lightheadedness and dizziness
It's truly imperative to know just how badly the effects of dehydration are, so I'll just get to the point. Severe dehydration can cause death.

Children can become dehydrated in the heat quickly and sometimes the symptoms are overlooked. Watch for a drop in energy, lethargic behavior, irritability or their eyes appear to have become sunken. 

I don't think parents intend to dehydrate their children but because we, as separate beings, cannot feel what our child is feeling, it can be mistaken for just being tired and cranky. 

If you find your child may be suffering from dehydration, add water. If symptoms persist, visit a doctor!


If you haven't already made a habit of giving your child water, now is a good time to start. To make it more palatable and much more fun, try adding raspberries, strawberries and / or mint to give a dazzling fun flavor and some color. You can add the fruit/herbs to the water in a pitcher and stick the pitcher in the fridge.
Serve with a berry or two to add a splash of color!

Here's to staying cool!
Vibrantly,
Tammi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is valuable to me, please keep it family friendly as my blog is directed toward families. Blessings for a healthy and happy life! ~ Tammi