Wednesday, June 27, 2012

3 Day Old Chicks, The Saga Continues

There was never a dull moment in my home to begin with, but these little ones sure have brought a lot to talk about! Over all, we've lost 5. Of 52, that's not too terrible, given most we lost in the first day. I did lose one yesterday to an obstruction in her throat. I cried when I buried her this morning. (Uh-Oh, I'm already attached, not good for the prolonged intention.) It just didn't seem fair. I guess really, none of it is if you think about it. 

Most of them are growing quite well, full of spunk and are quite funny. There are a few cockrels who have HUGE attitudes already and when they see me they come running. I don't think because they like me, but rather to see what I'm doing and decide if I'm going to do anything of interest. 


There is one little one who seems to not be growing. I can't tell if she's eating at all, most of the time she's sleeping. I've decided to offer her food and water each time I go out. Sometimes, it's followed by interest but mostly not. I don't think that is a good sign for what is to come. So far, though, she peeps a lot and is hanging in there. She's the small one in the picture below. 

The tiny one in the bottom of this photo is about two inches in length - still the size of an egg.
Not much of an appetite, but lots of spirit if she's disturbed.

This is one of the cockrels. He's really pretty and you can see is developing feathers on his wings.
He's getting a few tail feathers as well, as are quite a few of them.
What an amazing opportunity to learn more about life and to grow as a person. I'm so grateful for these little ones and that I can be such an active part in caring for my self and family. In overseeing these chicks, I am able to control cleanliness, water quality, food quality, and the quality of life they live. In a farm to table type approach, I can't see a better way to provide! 

In vibrant health and happiness,
Tammi

http://www.thenourishedlife.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is valuable to me, please keep it family friendly as my blog is directed toward families. Blessings for a healthy and happy life! ~ Tammi