Monday, June 25, 2012

The Chickens Have Landed!

It's official! I'm so excited to announce that we are a official Home Hobby Farm (or is it Hobby Home Farm?) Whatever, the point is we have chickens!



They arrived this morning. We did lose one grey one in the shipment, and one yellow at about noon. There is one more that I think we'll loose because she's acting like she can't breathe. (I totally know how that feels) 




It took me all morning to get the temp just right, but I think I finally have it. 
They are super cute, really peepy, and fuzzy.


Dominik thought they were the bomb-diggity this morning, but his attention span is on to other things now!

I'm learning so much already. The temperature during a heat wave is really challenging. They should be kept between 90 and 95 F. Really? It's 102 F outside, should I refrigerate them? (kidding, of course)

I learned they are born to hunt bugs. There was a moth that flew in there and it was hysterical watching these little ones chase that bug, then each other, then argue over it. I guess I should feel sorry for the bug, but it was entertaining none-the-less.

These chickens are not our first attempt at meat, but our first fully knowing what we are going in to. I have a group that have been purchased strictly for eggs. The rest are meat. Hence, only the egglayers, once we figure out which ones those are supposed to be, will have names.

Here's to LIFE, a true adventure!
In Vibrant Health & Happiness,
Tammi


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is valuable to me, please keep it family friendly as my blog is directed toward families. Blessings for a healthy and happy life! ~ Tammi