Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Skillet for Pioneer Woman

Growing up, we saved the cast iron for camping. Today, I put a cast iron skillet on my stove top. It will stay there now, for good.
I love the flavor a cast iron skillet gives food. It looks and feels rustic. The food develops a deeper flavor.

Here is the recipe for the first meal I made:

2 medium russet potatoes, diced into 1/2 pieces
4 large bok choy leaves, torn into small pieces
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup grape tomatoes halved
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp paprika
2 tbsp sunflower oil
Sea Salt and Pepper

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat while you chop and dice your ingredients. I left the potato skins on, although if you are sensitive to night shades, you might choose to peel them for a reduced inflammation response.
Add onions and potatoes and cook turning about every 7 - 8 minutes until potatoes are nearly cooked through (about 20 - 30 minutes).
Add garlic, bok choy (include spine), tomatoes, and paprika. Cook another ten minutes. Deglaze bottom of your pan with 2 - 4 tablespoons of water slowly added to pan while scraping bottom with a wooden spoon, stir into mixture.
Serve immediately, season with salt and pepper.

I took photos but my darn memory card is not being read by my computer.
So, you'll get to be surprised by this beautiful colorful dish and it's vibrant flavor!

In Vibrant Health and Happiness,
Tammi Hoerner, CHHC, AADP, MH
The Nourished Life
New Beginnings Health & Wellness


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is valuable to me, please keep it family friendly as my blog is directed toward families. Blessings for a healthy and happy life! ~ Tammi