Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Rhubarb in the Morning!

I have always been afraid of preparing Rhubarb.... 

It's this great big scary plant. Kidding of course, however, it's not a regular part of our diet and not everyone has it on a regular basis, so while we've had this wonderful huge plant for seven years, I've hardly touched it.

This morning it struck me that there might be shoots coming up and I was sweetly surprised when I went out. I grabbed two stalks, came in and made an amazing easy jam for toast, like it was nothing!

TAKE THAT BIG BAD PLANT!

Rhubarb - Strawberry Jam

2 stalks rhubarb
7 - 8 medium strawberries, capped
2 - 3 tablespoons of honey
1/4 cup purified water
1 tsp corn starch

Remove ends, and leaves from rhubarb and chop into 1/4 inch bits. Chop strawberries. Add both to a medium sized sauce pan. Add honey and water. Heat gently over low to medium heat. As soon as the mix begins to boil, reduce  heat and simmer. Add corn starch and stir in until clumps are broken down.

Cool and serve on toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is valuable to me, please keep it family friendly as my blog is directed toward families. Blessings for a healthy and happy life! ~ Tammi