Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Veggie Tostada


I have been having a blast getting into my kitchen and concocting creations for my family and clients. I'm not sure if it's Cinco De Mayo or spring, but I've been really craving Mexican food. A native Coloradan, I find I crave Mexican food frequently. I love the smell of roasting green chili that seems to hovor over our community in the fall and always look forward to getting a bushel or two out of my own garden to roast and use all winter.

There are many ways to include Mexican flavors in your cooking, even a few that don't add spice!


  • add fresh Cilantro
  • season with Cumin or Chili Powder
  • add roasted green chilies to a soup or stew
  • top a baked potato with roasted green chilies and cumin


Here is a fun and easy recipe for your family to enjoy straight from my latest meal plan matrix


Veggie Tostada

1 package baked tostada shells
1 can organic refried beans with green chilies and cilantro1 organic tomato 
½ lb assorted olives, pits removed, thinly sliced 
2 cups washed organic super greens salad mix 
2 green onions, sliced into small coins 
1 jalapeno, sliced into coins 
1 ripe avocado 
Your favorite salsa


Over medium heat, heat beans through until quite warm, stirring frequently. If they start to dry out, you might add 1 tsp coconut oil. Remove from heat. Allow everyone to dress their own tostada by setting out the cut options on the table. Spread beans in a thin layer on each tostada shell and top with desired ingredients. 


As you learn to experiment with Mexican flavors and foods, you'll learn which are more spicy and which are mild and more diverse. I'd love to hear about your own experiences with these flavorful foods! 


In Vibrant Health and Happiness,
Tammi Hoerner, CHHC, AADP, MH
Founder and Director,
New Beginnings Health & Wellness
dba
The Nourished Life
Back2Basic Nutrition

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is valuable to me, please keep it family friendly as my blog is directed toward families. Blessings for a healthy and happy life! ~ Tammi