Thursday, May 3, 2012

In the heart of Mexican for Dinner!

I love Mexican food. To a fault. But today's dish was not just tasty, I found a way to bring my favorite flavors to the table in a healthy fashion! So...my dear health seeking Momma's pull out your skillet, cause you are going to LOVE this dish!

Ingredients:
1 tube polenta - with green chilis
1 can organic pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 small can roasted mild green chilis
1 small can Muir Glen roasted organic tomatoes
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Chili Powder
1 cup chopped Swiss Chard
fresh cilantro
1 avocado (optional)
1/2 cup cheddar (optional)

I cooked this in my cast iron skillet and everyone LOVED it!

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Cut polenta into 1" rounds. Place in heated oil. Brown on 1 side, turn and brown on other. Remove from skillet and set aside. In same pan, reduce heat to medium low. Add all remaining ingredients. Cook for 7 minutes or until some of the juices reduce and sauce is quite thick. Stir frequently.
Lay 2 polenta rounds on a plate and top with bean and tomato sauce. Top with avocado and cheese. Garnish with a fresh sprig of cilantro.

Well, what do you think?

In Vibrant Health,
Tammi Hoerner, CHHC, AADP, MH
The Nourished Life
New Beginnings Health & Wellness
Back2Basic Nutrition


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is valuable to me, please keep it family friendly as my blog is directed toward families. Blessings for a healthy and happy life! ~ Tammi