Friday, October 7, 2011

Pumpkin - not just for decoration any more!

   I remember having this weird epiphany when I realized you could eat pumpkin. All I could think of were the slimy stringy insides and how my hands would be covered in goop after a few hours of pumpkin carving at Halloween.
   The truth is Pumpkin is a highly nutrient packed food. Pumpkins are actually considered a winter squash! Winter squash is an excellent source of Vitamins A, C, Potassium, fiber, Manganese, B1, Copper, B6 and a bit of B3! They are also loaded with carotenoids which protect your cells from the damages of free radicals.


   Since most of the pumpkins sold at your local grocery store are for making jack-o-lanterns, they are usually a bit stringy and not as flavorful as the smaller Sugar Pumpkins. It makes sense to opt for a smaller pumpkin or ask your grocer for the Sugar Pumpkins specifically to have them pointed out. I choose a smaller pumpkin from my garden to use for baking.

Want to bake your own pumpkin? 
   To bake a pumpkin, first wash the skin, cut it in have or quarters, making it small enough to fit in a baking pan. Carefully, using a spoon, scrape out inside strings and seeds. Set seeds aside for roasting in a seperate dish.
   Place pumpkin flesh side down in a covered roasting pan. (I actually have a covered stone baker I use from Pampered Chef for this.) Add 1 - 1/2 cups of water. You may also add organic vegetable broth for additional flavor.
   Bake at 375 for 45 - 60 minutes. Test for softness. You should be able to smash it easily.
   Allow to cool enough to handle and remove flesh from skin. Season with sea salt and pepper and add a bit of butter or coconut spread.

Want to learn how to roast those seeds?
   Using seeds set aside from above process, rinse thoroughly. Remove all pumpkin chunks and string. Add 1 tsp Olive Oil or Coconut Oil. Season with salt, herb mixes, garlic salt, seasoning salt, dulse or another favorite seasoning and toss. Try to be sure all seeds are coated somewhat.
   Spread evenly onto a cookie sheet.
   Bake at 325 for 25 minutes.
   Allow to cool and enjoy!

After I baked my pumpkin, I set it in the fridge until near dinner. I reheated it using a bit of olive oil and minced garlic in a sauce pan. Stirring constantly and mashing pumpkin until it was a mashed potato like consistency.

I can tell you that filling my home with the smells and flavors of baked pumpkin is perfect for setting the tone of a fun family meal and is a step in preparing our bodies for the colder days that lurk right around the corner!

Yummy! Happy October!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is valuable to me, please keep it family friendly as my blog is directed toward families. Blessings for a healthy and happy life! ~ Tammi