Thursday, October 20, 2011

Enjoying my Movement

Walking in nature is extremely fulfilling, but if you live a busy city life like I do, getting away from it all may not be an option. Don't let the lack of the perfect environment prevent you from moving your body in ways that nourish you.

When I moved my business to the city of Englewood and opened my integrated wellness center, I found that the unfamiliarity of the neighborhood hindered me from enjoying my usual daily walks. I don't think it was really that I was afraid I would get lost, but rather just didn't have an established route or routine to fall into. I had to recreate my movement routine and this in itself while I was relearning a daily work routine posed a new challenge.

If you have kept on top of my posts, you see I've managed a few hikes, lots of fun entertaining walks through community spaces like zoos and museums, I've had a walk or two through the local community, but really  most of my walks were in the basement of my home on my treadmill. (boring and uninspiring)
Last week, while pondering this very topic, I recognized I needed to begin to create this routine, mainly by creating a schedule, then, by taking note of things I really enjoyed about my walk.

Making changes and living in transition can often create disruption in even our most regularly scheduled habits including sleep, eating well, exercise, time with our children and husbands. I've put together a few simple guidelines to create a new habit of walking at least three or four times a week that I'd like to share with you.

1. Start by identifying where you'd like to walk. This is most easily accomplished if you can walk there to begin with. Near my office, there is a really pretty walkway but I have to drive to get to it. I found that in itself a hindrance so decided to just walk in the neighborhood that was directly near my office building.
2. Decide how much time you want to walk.  This is most often determined by how long of a lunch or break period you have away from your office. This was interesting to me, since I recently started working for myself. Well, okay, it's been 9 months, but I still feel like I'm breaking the rules if I walk longer than 15 minutes. My last walk was 45 minutes and I felt great when I got back to my office.
3. Put it in your schedule. I use an old fashioned Franklin Covey type scheduler and actually write in break times and times to work on self care. I even schedule days off for myself so I don't forget to take them. Being self employed is sure weird sometimes.
4. Make note of all that you enjoy about your walk. I personally am a very curious person, so enjoy viewing architecture, gardens, flowers, bugs, animals, people, how high the trees grow, pretty much anything that is out of my day to day life. I guess I'm easily entertained. If you don't find this entertaining, bring your Ipod with your favorite music, latest audio book or audio classes.

Below are a few pictures of my latest walk. Find inspiration and encouragement out in the world! I always put myself in the space of feeling like I might forget something if I don't get out and connect to the world around me.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is valuable to me, please keep it family friendly as my blog is directed toward families. Blessings for a healthy and happy life! ~ Tammi