Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Healthy Kiddos Day 2

Once again the sun shines on the beautiful blanket of snow outside and I'm hoping for another day filled with laughs and fun. I get to intermingle my day with work today, as I am now mostly working from home. It's a great benefit of what I do. Around this I'm planning some fun activities of which I'll share below.

Getting started on the right foot can help you to make the rest of the day fall into place much easier. What is the right foot? If you think about the fact that your body has just spent at least 8 hours without food, that it has been resting and repairing during this time, and for the morning is probably loaded with toxic waste just waiting to be released from your body, what would you fill it with?

First, WATER.

Next, a nutrient rich breakfast.
This is how I have begun to think. If I do this for me and for my son, our day is magical, we both have wonderful amounts of energy and I am able to keep up with him.
Today, I start our day with greens. How? A little creativity goes a long way!

Healthy Kiddos Meal Plan Day 2

Poached Eggs with Rainbow Saute, served with leftover Rosemary Bread

Dried Fruit
Roasted Root Veggies

Ezekiel Toast with Manuka Honey

Baked Salmon, Corn on the Cob



Breakfast:
Eggs are a good source of animal protein and promote healthy thyroid function as they are a great source of iodine at a whopping 23 mcg per egg. I suggest choosing free range eggs or getting eggs from a local source you trust.

2 Eggs
4 - 6 Baby Sweet Red and Yellow Peppers
1 1/2 Cups Fresh Baby Spinach
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
Salt, Pepper, Dulse

I had a hard time learning to poach eggs, but have found that if I just take a skillet and put 1/4 inch of water in it, then wait for it to rapidly boil, I do just fine. Once the water comes to a boil, gently pour eggs into skillet. Allow to cook just like you would and over easy egg, but you are cooking it in water instead of oil.
In a separate small skillet, heat oil. Add diced vegetables, peppers first, cooking those about four or five minutes, then adding spinach, just to wilt. Serve vegetables on top of egg. May add toast as I did for my son. I skipped the bread with my meal and just had egg and vegetables. Mmm.... luscious!
Serve with water

Proof my son eats his veggies for breakfast!

Morning Snack:
Today, since I was working, I opted to give Dom a quick and easy snack of mixed dried fruits. Caution, these are high in sugar, so serving with nuts is a good idea.

Lunch:
Sweet Potatoes are amazing satisfying foods to include in your diet. They are grounding and filling and filled with Vitamins A, C, and Manganese. I LOVE these potatoes roasted as they sweeten up quite a bit and are great to fill that sweet tooth. A root vegetable roast can include anything that grows under the ground, from radishes to parsnips and every thing in between.

Sweet Potatoes
Carrots
Onions
Parsnips
Turnips

Peel and scrub chosen root veggies, then cube.
Preheat oven to 475. Place into a casserole or glass baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 30 - 45 minutes until all veggies are soft.
Top with balsamic vinegar
Serve with milk

Afternoon Snack: 
I chose Ezekiel Bread because the sprouted grains make the bread easier to digest for my son who is gluten intolerant, since he's not celiac, just sensitive, we can give him wheat in moderation. I choose the highest quality as much as possible. Manuka Honey is raw and unpasteurized and filled with amazing natural healing benefits.
Serve with water or freshly made veggie juice

Dinner:
Our dinner includes corn on the cob and salmon. The corn was grown in our own garden, so we gain the benefits of knowing where it came from. Salmon is an amazing source of Omega 3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA. This type of fish is known to support brain health. It is also a heart healthy food and a great source of protein.

2 - 3 Salmon Fillets
1 cup Vegetable Broth
1 tsp Dill
Salt and Pepper

Place Salmon in a baking dish, pour vegetable broth over the fish and season with dill, salt and pepper. Bake at 375 for 25 - 30 minutes, or quick broil using cast iron skillet that has been preheated for ten minutes under the broiler. Add fish to skillet and broil for 7 minutes.


Simple activities for you to get the most out of your time with your child. Bonus: you'll burn calories!


PLAY TODAY:

Since the sled was such a fun activity yesterday we chose to do that again, for a few minutes out in the sunshine. The snow is beginning to melt so there aren't many areas left to drag him. Later in the afternoon we returned to the beautiful sunshiney day to take out our dogs and let them romp with us in the snow. I took note of how incredibly warm the sun felt on my skin and how cool the air was in contrast. We came in and made home made hot chocolate with marshmallows. YUM!

BAKE TODAY:

Find a fairly easy cookie recipe to attempt. I'm not a great baker, but do enjoy it when my efforts turn out.

CREATE TODAY:
I have taken a few vegetable cans I had ready for recycling and washed them well. We're going to turn them into (pencil, flower, odd and ends) holders for grandma and sister as gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is valuable to me, please keep it family friendly as my blog is directed toward families. Blessings for a healthy and happy life! ~ Tammi